Wednesday 30 June 2010

habitat. furious. anticipate. commotion. ruthless.

Salvazione Christian Primary School!
Brixton, Johannesburg



24 little faces smile up at me as Ali and I pull into the parking lot outside the school at 7.30am. It's time for their run around the block before hot chocolate and rusks and a day of intensive Maths and English followed by art and either soccer or a dance class.

It's only Wednesday and I've been grinning, laughing, squeezing cute people, facilitating, teaching and really feeling like a valuable member of society for all three days of this week.

I am playing headmistress of a winter school for the Grade 7 kids at Salvazione, teaching some English, lots of Maths and making sure that our cooks have lots of warm nourishing meals ready for our sweeties. They are a pleasure to teach: receptive, largely bright, obedient and really just get the job done.

My mum and her brilliant maths teacher friend, Viv Spooner planned this week with a view to trying to get these cute little people to be fast tracked through some of the Grade 7 work so that their transition to high school is easier and catch up some of the work that they haven't got to covering in the first half of the year.

Today in my English lesson we did impromptu speeches and then worked with the ridiculous words in the subject line. Such fun!

Being a teacher is definitely part of the life plan! I LOVE teaching and LOVE those kids. Seems I LOVE too much and that is in fact what is complicating my life!

3 comments:

  1. You dont love too much. You love life, that's all! Awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah I Love the jumping photos! Start a school with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicola,
    wont you give me a shout - I am working with a whole bunch of kids in Brixton and organising homework assitance among other things as well as park days etc.

    Ann
    http://shewearsshweshwe.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete