Wednesday 9 June 2010

World Cup fever!

When I started this entry... a whole week ago... I was sitting at Cafe Neo - my favourite place just off the Sea Point Promenade in Cape Town.

I had a view of the sparkly sea (a luxury for the new Joburg resident!) and Green Point Park (Cape Town's official World Cup stadium) and the sound of vuvuzelas was ringing in my ears. Gotta love it!!

There is really nowhere else I would rather be right now and have never felt sooo proud to be a South African!! Still most cars driving by have South African flags flying and special covers over their side mirrors. Such gees :)

On the train on the way to the town!


The World Cup is really here!!


After watching the opening ceremony through some trees at the Waterfront where the whole place was PACKED OUT.
  • Fan parks - full
  • All restaurants with big screens - full
  • Fans dressed to the 9s - 100% performance
  • People sitting on roofs to see the screen - 6
  • Great wigs - hundreds (me included as evidenced in the photos)
  • Yellow - perfect coverage
  • Bafana supporters - everywhere!
  • VUVUZELAS!!! Whoop whoop!

Ali and I (team of note!) watched the opening match (Mexico v South Africa) in an icecream shop just down the road from Giovannis. Such fun and an excellent cross section of Cape Town. The sense of humour, screeming, shouting and tangible South African pride was nothing like I have ever experienced before and a moment I will never forget.


Then my official team mate and I galavanted around the streets, were photographed by randoms (not only Chinese!), danced and sung along with the Minstrels in their usual shiny multicoloured gear, chatted to lots of foreign soccer fans and admired the stadium which was amazingly lit up!


James (elder of two brothers) and Adrian (James's best friend and one of my favourite people in the world) joined us and we headed into the stadium to watch the France v Uruguay match. World class experience with the constant hum of vuvuzelas giving it that African feel. I even had a chance to take photos through the vuvuzela!

My brothers- Ali (left with vuvuzela lip!) and James
Vuvuzela photo... cool hey?!

Overall, that was seriously a day that I will NEVER forget. I am still beaming with pride (just in case you can't tell from the excessive use of exclamation marks and superlatives)

South Africa, lets show the world who we really are!










1 comment: