Friday 18 June 2010

Unemployment!

I am technically, officially and unashamedly unemployed!

I have been back in South Africa for just over a month. At least one week was spent seriously trying to sort out my silly ribs. One week in Cape Town. So, while it feels like I have been on this journey for a long time, it is merely the beginning.

While I have met some fascinating people, I am almost at my saturation point for "blind dates" in coffee shops and being on my absolute best performance just in case the person I meet might just consider employing me or have someone in mind who might want to.

There have been a couple of interesting points which have arisen from all these discussions.

Most people subconsciously think that they are doing the right thing! So, whether they have loved their careers or been bored to sobs, when they are asked for advice as which direction they think I should consider going in, they invariably tell me that I should consider working in the environment that they are.

To clarify: employees of a big corporate will tell you to go "the corporate route", entrepreneurs and small business employees will try to recruit you or suggest you consider "following your dream" and most people in the social sector suggest you "roll in the mud" before getting into a "comfortable management position"

All interesting points! BUT... where do I fit in in all of this?!

That my friends, is an answer I cannot yet tell you.

1 comment:

  1. That's when you put them all on a dart board and pick the one where the dart lands! no jokes my mom's friend did that with optometry and he loved it! xxx

    ReplyDelete